Skip to main content

The D Word

*I refer to and discuss suicide in this post, so please don't read if you feel it will be upsetting for you.*


I was first diagnosed with depression and its close comrade anxiety at 12. I don't remember much about it, apart from I used to cry a lot, and I had a fear of going on buses because I thought everyone was looking at me. The doctor gave me a packet of pills and sent me on my way. I took the pills and although the depression eased it was always there, waiting. Over time I stopped taking the pills. I've never been one for medications and I didn't see the point.

When I was 16 and in full time work I had a serious relapse. I couldn't get out of bed, I didn't wash, I didn't eat anything apart from tinned hotdogs (I'm a vegetarian now, and the thought of those hotdogs makes me bleugh) and I began to feel like I had no purpose in life. I went back to the doctor and was put on pills again.

Since then I've had an on-off relationship with medication. I managed without it for many years, but generally stayed depressed. I could function well enough, but my mood was always low.

My most serious relapse was last year, when I ended up being admitted to a psychiatric unit. I had lost all hope and all interest in life, and told the doctors 'It's only a matter of time.' I was, of course, referring to me dying. I had made plans to end my life. Now writing that sentence makes me inwardly cringe, but it's true.

I think there's a stigma around suicide. A deep rooted stigma in all of us who try to comprehend a perfectly healthy person saying 'I want to die'. But that person isn't perfectly healthy. Not mentally. Suicide is a taboo in our society, but it shouldn't be. We need to talk about it. We need to talk about mental health, and about depression. Suicide is the biggest killer of men aged under 45 in the UK. Just take a moment to think about that. It's more than cancer. It's more than heart disease or road accidents. So incredibly sad.

I'm by no means saying that everyone who kills themselves are depressed, but many are. People can think depression is just 'being a bit sad' but it's not. Depression is serious. In my experience, it's the absence of emotion, it's the absence of feeling that makes it so dangerous. Because you don't care. You don't think about your family or friends, apart from to conclude that they would be better off if you didn't exist.

On the few occasions I've spoken about depression I've felt ashamed.  I have sat and ruminated on my thoughts and the reasons for it. I am privileged in so many ways, I have a home, a loving family, fantastic friends. I live in the UK, I'm free from war and oppression, and I'm not in dire poverty. Why then, why am I depressed? I don't think there's a clear answer. I think the answer is a combination of things, it's impossible to point one out.

At the moment I take a daily dose of venlafaxine, (375mg) and it works. Although I will never be the kind of person to skip through life with sunbeams shining out of me, I don't want to die anymore. Yesterday I said that to my CPN, (Community psychiatric nurse) and she gave me the biggest smile and said she could go home happy. I smiled back, because I meant it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relapse

I've been on the 'outside' for four weeks now. No, not prison, I was in a psychiatric hospital for three months. I was there because I had a psychotic relapse. Initially I was staying at a crisis house, which is a place you're taken when you can't be at home but you aren't quite ill enough for hospital. I was sent there by my CPN (community psychiatric nurse) who had noticed things were getting difficult for me. I was struggling with voices, they were loud and giving me commands to harm myself. I did everything I could to resist, tried and tried all the techniques I had learned but still the voices persisted. It's a difficult thing to cope with- it feels very much like they're in control, and it's like you have to do what they say. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore. I barricaded myself into a room and started to do what the voice was shouting at me to do. Luckily a member of staff at the house saw me going into the room and followed me. She

Once Upon a Section

I want to write a post about being sectioned. the formalities, how it feels, what it means. Somehow the words won't come. All I can seem to say is that I was sectioned under the Mental Health Act a couple of weeks ago, and have just got out of hospital. Thankfully it was a short stay. I don't feel much of anything at the moment. Maybe I should just delete this and try again when things are better. But I think that I started this blog to chart my psychosis journey and this is it. Sometimes this is what it leaves you with.

An introduction to psychosis

Psychotic. What does that word bring to mind? Most people would probably say killers, psychopaths, or 'psychos'. In reality, psychotic simply means 'A person who is suffering from psychosis.' In 2016, I was diagnosed as one of those people. I had slowly been losing touch with reality. Paranoia is a key symptom of psychosis. I refused to have a bath as I believed cameras were in my bathroom. I drove different ways home every day as I thought I was being followed by the government. I became convinced that my house was being watched, and that everyone walking by had a suspicious motive. I spent hours pacing up and down in my living room. That's the first time I heard voices. They were quiet at first, barely a whisper, but soon they became louder, as if someone was actually in the room with me. There were three voices, two female and one male. One of the female voices commented on my actions. I would have a thought, such as 'I need a drink,' and the voic