Skip to main content

Stigma

When I first started this blog I must have deleted it about ten times before I hit 'publish'. I was afraid of people knowing my secret. I was afraid I'd be judged, ridiculed, or worse, that I would scare people. Where do these fears come from?

Stigma.

In general, society has unfavourable opinions around mental health issues. Think about the mainstream media. Words like 'psycho', 'crazy', and 'schizo' are banded around, and are usually used to describe someone who has seriously harmed, or even killed, other people. These sensationalist headlines all add to the stigma people face.

When deciding whether or not to disclose a mental health issue, fear is always in the back of your mind. Before starting this blog, hardly any of my friends and family knew I heard voices. They hadn't realised the extent of my psychosis. Some didn't know I suffered with it at all. One of the things that made me decide to write about my experiences was the stigma and fear I felt having been diagnosed.

I think we can self stigmatise too. I know that I am my own worst critic, and on my bad days I blame myself for my illness. I believe I'm weak and pathetic for becoming ill, and get mad at myself for not 'getting over it'. Would I be so hard on myself if I were diagnosed with a physical illness?

When I was acutely ill, I desperately wanted to know what was wrong with me. Psychosis is a lonely illness. Because of paranoia and voices many people become socially isolated, even from those close to them.  I searched in Waterstones, online, everywhere, but I couldn't find anything about psychosis that wasn't academic. I wanted something personal, I wanted someone else to say 'Look, its ok, me too'. And that is what I'm doing here really. I hope that I can be that someone for someone else.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relapse

I've been on the 'outside' for four weeks now. No, not prison, I was in a psychiatric hospital for three months. I was there because I had a psychotic relapse. Initially I was staying at a crisis house, which is a place you're taken when you can't be at home but you aren't quite ill enough for hospital. I was sent there by my CPN (community psychiatric nurse) who had noticed things were getting difficult for me. I was struggling with voices, they were loud and giving me commands to harm myself. I did everything I could to resist, tried and tried all the techniques I had learned but still the voices persisted. It's a difficult thing to cope with- it feels very much like they're in control, and it's like you have to do what they say. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore. I barricaded myself into a room and started to do what the voice was shouting at me to do. Luckily a member of staff at the house saw me going into the room and followed me. She

Once Upon a Section

I want to write a post about being sectioned. the formalities, how it feels, what it means. Somehow the words won't come. All I can seem to say is that I was sectioned under the Mental Health Act a couple of weeks ago, and have just got out of hospital. Thankfully it was a short stay. I don't feel much of anything at the moment. Maybe I should just delete this and try again when things are better. But I think that I started this blog to chart my psychosis journey and this is it. Sometimes this is what it leaves you with.

An introduction to psychosis

Psychotic. What does that word bring to mind? Most people would probably say killers, psychopaths, or 'psychos'. In reality, psychotic simply means 'A person who is suffering from psychosis.' In 2016, I was diagnosed as one of those people. I had slowly been losing touch with reality. Paranoia is a key symptom of psychosis. I refused to have a bath as I believed cameras were in my bathroom. I drove different ways home every day as I thought I was being followed by the government. I became convinced that my house was being watched, and that everyone walking by had a suspicious motive. I spent hours pacing up and down in my living room. That's the first time I heard voices. They were quiet at first, barely a whisper, but soon they became louder, as if someone was actually in the room with me. There were three voices, two female and one male. One of the female voices commented on my actions. I would have a thought, such as 'I need a drink,' and the voic