Skip to main content

Lithium (Not the Nirvana version)

So, I've been on lithium for a week now. I haven't noticed any changes in my mood, but that could be because the dose isn't at the recommended therapeutic level yet. Side effects I've noticed are that I'm struggling to wake up in the morning, and I'm having night sweats. (nice)

Tonight I have to stay up until 10pm (late for me!) and take my dose then, because tomorrow morning I have another blood test. The test has to be exactly 12 hours since the dose, so they can measure the amount of lithium in my blood. I also have to carry a lithium alert card round with me.

I don't know,  it just makes me uneasy. What exactly are all these drugs doing to my body?
Making it better, you may say. But I'm not so sure. Every morning I just feel sad and frustrated that I need to take six pills a day just to function normally.

But is this my self stigma rearing its head again? Probably. Perhaps if I had a physical illness I'd just take the pills no question, because it feels like we have no control over what our bodies do. But we have control of our minds, right? Or do we? In one way, yes we do. In another way, absolutely not. So many things affect our minds, we are nowhere near to understanding it all really. But maybe I don't need to understand it. Maybe I just need to accept it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relapse

I've been on the 'outside' for four weeks now. No, not prison, I was in a psychiatric hospital for three months. I was there because I had a psychotic relapse. Initially I was staying at a crisis house, which is a place you're taken when you can't be at home but you aren't quite ill enough for hospital. I was sent there by my CPN (community psychiatric nurse) who had noticed things were getting difficult for me. I was struggling with voices, they were loud and giving me commands to harm myself. I did everything I could to resist, tried and tried all the techniques I had learned but still the voices persisted. It's a difficult thing to cope with- it feels very much like they're in control, and it's like you have to do what they say. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore. I barricaded myself into a room and started to do what the voice was shouting at me to do. Luckily a member of staff at the house saw me going into the room and followed me. She

Once Upon a Section

I want to write a post about being sectioned. the formalities, how it feels, what it means. Somehow the words won't come. All I can seem to say is that I was sectioned under the Mental Health Act a couple of weeks ago, and have just got out of hospital. Thankfully it was a short stay. I don't feel much of anything at the moment. Maybe I should just delete this and try again when things are better. But I think that I started this blog to chart my psychosis journey and this is it. Sometimes this is what it leaves you with.

An introduction to psychosis

Psychotic. What does that word bring to mind? Most people would probably say killers, psychopaths, or 'psychos'. In reality, psychotic simply means 'A person who is suffering from psychosis.' In 2016, I was diagnosed as one of those people. I had slowly been losing touch with reality. Paranoia is a key symptom of psychosis. I refused to have a bath as I believed cameras were in my bathroom. I drove different ways home every day as I thought I was being followed by the government. I became convinced that my house was being watched, and that everyone walking by had a suspicious motive. I spent hours pacing up and down in my living room. That's the first time I heard voices. They were quiet at first, barely a whisper, but soon they became louder, as if someone was actually in the room with me. There were three voices, two female and one male. One of the female voices commented on my actions. I would have a thought, such as 'I need a drink,' and the voic